Software version and release date
Niko Home Control programming software version 2.8.5 Mac OS (64 bits). This software is used for adapting an existing 2.x installation.
This upgrade is provided as an automatic upgrade of the programming software at start-up.
- A minimum of 4 GB RAM is recommended
- Compatible with Mac OS 10.11 or a more recent version
- Minimum screen resolution: 1366 x 768. The programming software will give a warning message when it is opened on a lower resolution screen.
When should you use it?
Niko strongly recommends upgrading all Niko Home Control II installations to this version to guarantee the correct functioning of the installation. An upgrade is specifically recommended if the installation requires one of the following features or bug fixes:
Compared to version 2.8.1:
- Digital black:
- Programming software upload succeeds, even when more than 6 Digital blacks are connected
- Fixed crashes, freezes and spontaneous reboots
- Digital black can now be correctly calibrated at -1,0 °C
- Thermostat: adjusted temperature hysteresis to prevent valve damage
- Corrected intruder alarm icon and animation
- Favourite control is correctly shown after screen wake
- General bugfixing
How do you install it?
- Make sure your computer has an active connection to the internet.
- Open the installed programming software on your computer. The software indicates that a new version is available. Confirm that you want to upgrade.
- If the programming software indicates an upgrade is available for the connected controller, please perform this upgrade.
- (If you haven't received this notification, it means your computer hasn't connected to your connected controller yet. Close the software and connect your computer to your connected controller. Open the programming software again. You will now see the upgrade for the connected controller and you can perform it).
- The software confirms your installation is up to date.
- If you have a touchscreen 550-20102, this touchscreen will also indicate that an upgrade is available. Follow the steps on the screen to download and install the upgrade. You only need an active internet connection (the upgrade no longer requires a USB-stick as with the first upgrade to Niko Home Control II). The touchscreen 550-20101 must be upgraded with the USB stick according to the procedure described above.
Warnings and known issues
- Digital black:
- If you remove a Digital black from the Niko Home app, it can occasionally remain active and connected to the system without the possibility to onboard again
- Multiple shutters activated with the same control on the Digital black can end up at different levels
- Thermostat can measure and show a higher temperature (+ 2 °C) than the ambient temperature after an upgrade or prolonged screen use during several minutes
- Digital black 230V cannot be used as a thermostat. Only Digital black 24V in combination with a heating-cooling module or switching module (ref. 550-00103 or 550-00106) programmed for electrical heating supports this function.
- Temperature calibration offset must be set in the app to align the measured temperature to the actual room temperature.
- Linking the Digital black to your Wi-Fi network can fail on Netgear Orbi RBR50 routers. No issues reported yet for other types and brands of routers.
- Onboarding of up to 20 Digital blacks can occasionally cause the Niko Home app to freeze. Close and restart the app to solve the problem.
- Minor UI issues in routines with intermediate states and text misalignments.
- Outputs wired to a Digital black cannot be used in a presence simulation.
If generic players, such as generic heating, warm water or generic ventilation are present in the programming, the onboarding of the Digital black might not succeed.
Historical energy data might not be visible yet in the Niko Home app, it will be added in a following release.
If you use wireless components in a Niko Home Control installation for bus wiring you can use exactly one Easywave interface per installation. Choose the USB RF interface (410-000999) or the Niko Home Control RF interface Easywave (550-00610).
- Incomplete overview of possible feedback LED outcome on the smart hub's Wi-Fi configuration page.
- In some exceptional cases, the connected dimmer for Niko Home Control (for traditional wiring) may go in error mode. Press the "MIN DIM LEVEL" button to solve the issue.
- Create a new programming file for every new installation. We do not recommend reusing a programming file which has previously been addressed and uploaded to another similar installation. This can result in a new installation that does not work.
- After each programming upload to the installation, you must log in again into the Niko Home Control app.
- Log out of all mobile devices and touchscreens before changing your password on the registration website https://mynikohomecontrol.niko.eu.
- Activate both mobile data and Wi-Fi on your mobile iOS devices and ensure that your battery has enough power. This is to ensure that you do not miss any calls from the external video unit. This problem could occur if the power save mode is activated.
- It can take up to 15 minutes before all touchscreens or mobile devices have reconnected with the installation after an upload, reboot of the installation or power failure (even if the device gives another status). The correct functioning of these devices can only be guaranteed after the waiting time has elapsed.
- Uploading and upgrading can be done both with a wired and wireless connection between the pc and the installation. However, we strongly recommend using the wired connection as it is more stable and safer.
- Back up your programming regularly to avoid losing data.
- It can take up to a minute in the address tab before an external video unit is detected.
- Lighting circuits used in actions which are controlled by a motion detector, may not be used in other actions. This can result in undesired behaviour.
- The behaviour of the feedback LED of the Niko Home Control push buttons is always predefined and cannot be freely programmed.
- The energy data history will be lost when replacing the controller or an energy module.
- Contact Niko customer services if you want to replace an HVAC interface in an existing installation.
- Remove all assigned Velux or Reynaers players from a module if you want to change their position. Then reassign them to their new position on the module.
- After (un)grouping audio speakers or implementing a speaker firmware update you will automatically log out of the app.
- The diagnostics page does not show analogue sensor data.
- The diagnostics page only shows the state of the first channel of a multi-channel module.
- Wireless motion detector, Zigbee® does not allow sensitivity setting.
- Wireless motion detector, Zigbee® does not allow switch-off delay value in absence detection (10s only).
- In a very specific case, the touchscreen can get blocked in keyboard mode. Resetting the power solves the issue.
- This software is used for programming a Niko Home Control II installation. The software is compatible with the connected controller and wireless smart hub and all products belonging to the Niko Home Control product range at the time of this release unless otherwise stated.
- To program the connected controller with this software, it must be upgraded first. As soon as the computer is connected with a Niko Home Control installation, the programming software will prompt to upgrade the connected controller. Only upgrade Niko Home Control II installations. The conversion of existing Niko Home Control installations is final and is not yet supported by this release. The remaining Niko Home Control modules will only be upgraded after the programming has been completely finalised and uploaded to the installation.
- Niko Home Control installations which were programmed with Niko Home Control programming software version 1.x do not need to be adjusted or upgraded. The 1.x software and apps will continue to be supported and will remain available for the programming and maintenance of existing installations. The conversion of these installations is not yet supported.
- Each installation must be registered on the Niko registration website https://mynikohomecontrol.niko.eu with the MAC address and the serial number of the connected controller or wireless smart hub. You will need the e-mail address and password used when registering to control the installation with mobile devices and to retrieve energy data on touchscreens. In addition, you will need an active internet connection for both applications.